Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Broken record

It's so warm back here, the high temp set a new record yesterday and will definitely do so again today when the temp sneaks up over 50 degrees.  Yesterday's high was 49, breaking the old record by one degree.  Last year this time the high was 29 and the low was 3 degrees.  The temps right now are running about 15-20 degrees above normal for this time of year.  Our tropical weather will crash to an end later this week as a "normal" January returns to the Hoosier Heartland.  By that time, we will have completed all of the outdoor stuff that needs to be done to Mom's house.  What a miracle gift the weather has been.  Thank You, God!

Well, here she is "in her element" again, courtesy of Mom Sarah's fine iPhone foto.  Yes, you guessed it, Susun has been having a blissfully wonderful time in Vista, California, hanging out with her Grand Sons.
Way to go, Sweetie!

We received some sad news yesterday.  Angel Doug fell off a ladder Saturday afternoon and broke his heel bone.  He's in a lot of pain and paid up in a big walking cast.  He has to use crutches now to get around.  We're sorry, Doug, and we pray for your speedy recovery. He fell off the ladder at his own home removing Christmas lights and that was just after he helped Angel Ginny move out the fridge and washer-dryer from Mom's house.  Angel Lynn will be working at the house today as we finally remove all of its remaining contents, except for the fugitive dust bunnies and cat hair.

Angel Ron came down badly ill the day he hauled off our last dump truck load and has been confined to his home ever since.

Monday was yet another Ground Hog Day-style chapter in the ongoing saga here.  The good news is that I was able to close out her most expensive monthly account with Comcast--$150 a month year round.  It included telephone, internet, TV and all sorts of mysterious "upsells" they had added to her account.  It had so much stuff on her bill I gave up trying to figure out what it all was.  Anyway, it took three trips to Comcast HQ where the proverbial long waiting line is a way of life.  But we got 'er done.  Whew.  We also managed to deal with her natural gas bill through a back door manner.  The phone people at the gas company were the worst of them all.  Ugh.  I won't even try to tell you about them.  Well, anyway, using data from my Dad's 1998 death certificate and a little internet savvy, I was able to set up an online account with the gas company and deal with them without being humiliated and frustrated.  Sweet, as Napoleon Dynamite would say.

The attorney informed me yesterday I goofed up by not having a professional appraisal done on the vehicles and the antiques.  I invoked the Forest Service Motto: "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission."  After a lot of hand wringing and mea culpas, I got out of it all OK but I do have to get an appraisal done today on the house.   There's two buyers circling overhead like vultures soaring in the wind.

If we don't get a good offer on it today or tomorrow, it will get listed with a Realtor on Thursday.

Our biggest challenges aside from helping to load all of the artifacts onto the dealer's trailer today, is boxing and shipping the papers and photos we wish to save.  That's a downright biggie and it's going to be an expensive biggie, as well.

Angel Lorna normally arises between 9-10 am as she is a Night Owl.  Well, I asked for a bunch of empty boxes and he agreed to get up at the ungawdly hour (for her) of 7:30 am so I can be on my way early today.

So, she's up and I'm outta here.

Have a great day & Many Cheers, jp

No comments: